The continuous and relentless virus attacks are a serious threat to virtually every business. We are being bombarded with advice and it can become overwhelming.
The threats are real, and should be taken seriously. You need to ensure that you’re taking a few positive steps to protect yourselves. Long term we do advise that you get in touch to arrange a cyber health check with CT Business Solutions. GDPR will come into force in May 2018 and if you collect / handle data it will be even more crucial to ensure you’re cyber-safe.
FOR NOW –
- If you use Windows, install the patch Microsoft released. This will block the specific vulnerability that the WannaCry ransomware exploits. These instructions are located on this page in the Microsoft Knowledge Base
- If you are using an unsupported version of Windows, like Windows XP, Windows 2000 or Server 2003, you can get the patches for your unsupported OS from the Microsoft Update Catalogue. We strongly recommend that you consider moving to a supported version of Windows as soon as possible. We can help with this transition if you need assistance.
- Update your antivirus software definitions. Most AV vendors have now added detection capability to block WannaCry. All CT Business Solutions clients were unaffected by all the recent attacks.
- We can’t stress this strongly enough – BACK UP regularly and make sure you have offline backups. Would your business survive if you lost all your data, not just relating to a cyber-attack? If you have a back-up and you are infected with ransomware, your backups won’t be encrypted.
- Businesses should also be monitoring their logs closely for suspicious activity across firewalls and anti-virus software. This facility is done in-house by CT Business Solutions for all our managed clients. If you are worried and want to discuss the benefits of our services, then get in touch.
CT Business Solutions offer a wide range of IT support and services. If you are in any doubt about your current support get it touch. We offer a free IT audit that will give you a basis to work from to ensure you’re getting the most from your IT infra-structure.
Director at CT Business Solutions